Friday, August 31, 2012

Critical Thinking

I haven't posted much this week, mostly because things have been running really quite smoothly. Amy had a treatment this morning, and when the Good Doc asked me how things have been going, I realized that I can't remember a single temper tantrum since Monday. So really, all week she has been pleasant, compliant, and calm.

He also asked what other differences I have noticed, and overall I could only say that she seems calmer. Her hyper "I'm so excited!!" mode has not been overwhelming, as it can be at times. When he asked Amy how she was feeling, she clammed up, though, and wouldn't talk. I really wish she would let me in on how she is feeling! Her behavior seems to be reflecting a much calmer inner attitude.

The temper tantrum on Monday was a result of a homework problem. This year in social studies she has to read a passage and then answer questions about what she read. Particularly, she has to answer "Critical Thinking" questions, where the answer isn't explicitly laid out in the reading.

Ha! The question she struggled with was, "Why do you think a person has to be 18 years old to vote?" Since she had no idea, she panicked, and no amount of talking her through a thought process was helping. Her only thought was "12 and 15 year olds can understand politics, so they should be allowed to vote!"

After screaming and rolling on the floor for about 1/2 an hour, she finally decided to write something down.

I can't wait for the next assignment!!


No comments:

Post a Comment